Shooting footage of live sporting events can be quite the challenge without having the best camcorder for sports. Equipment with reduced resolution and low-quality components just won’t cut it. When it comes to filming your child or spouse as they zip across the soccer field or sinking that three-pointer, you need the best action capturing camcorder for sports.
Unless you want to re-watch blurry playback for years to come and miss out on reliving those glorious moments, investing in the right camcorder is crucial. Read on to discover the best camcorder for sports available in 2018.
Let’s start off by covering a few of the most frequently asked questions concerning the best camcorders for sports.
What exactly is a camcorder?
Camcorders are handheld video cameras capable of recording video and audio on the go. Initially, camcorders were a combination of a video camera and a cassette recorder. Today, they are mainly digital.
What qualities determine the best camcorder for sports?
The best camcorders for sports first and foremost are equipped with a high definition video resolution. Typically, they are also shock resistant, waterproof, and have a significant amount of internal memory as well as several expandable memory options.
How does the best camcorder for sports work differently than a regular video camera?
Camcorders are video cameras, which make them perfect for capturing sporting events on the go. However, video cameras are not necessarily camcorders. A camcorder is a portable video camera, while video cameras are not all made to be mobile. For example, video cameras used for filming movies are large and bulky and require a mount such as a tripod.
Where can you buy the best camcorder for sports?
Large online retailers that carry the best camcorders for sports include Amazon, eBay, overstock, and BestBuy. Camcorders can also be purchased directly from trusted manufacturers such as Sony, Panasonic, and Canon.
How much does the best camcorder for sports cost?
High-quality camcorders for recording sports can be purchased from roughly $200. However, prices may range upwards of $2,000 or more.
The 10 Best Camcorders for Sports in 2018
As promised, here is our list of only the very best camcorders for sports! We’ve gone above and beyond to provide you with only the most essential information about each one.
With the aid of this list, your purchasing decision should be a much simpler and streamlined process. So, here you have it. The ten best camcorders for sports:
The VIXIA HF R800 Camcorder is the perfect device for seizing the most memorable sports events involving your closest circle of family and friends. Key features include 3.28 Megapixel full HD, 57x advanced zoom, and MP4 1080/60p recording capability. LCD touch panel, and built-in software. This camcorder weighs 8.5 ounces.
4.1 of 5 stars
- Include a sleek and compact design
- high-quality battery pack
- zooming aid
- Document lock feature
- Multiple recording modes perfect for capturing sports in motion.
- Include the need for a memory card to save footage
- poor recordability at night
- no manual audio control for external mics.
- 57x (32.5-1853Mm) advanced zoom/ 32x Optical / 1140x Digital and Super range OIS
- Canon 3.28 Megapixel full HD CMOS image sensor. Signal level: -10 dBV (with 47 kΩ load)Frequency characteristic: 60 Hz...
- Digic DV 4 image processor. Compatible with Canon Connect Station CS100 via USB
This extraordinary camcorder is anything but average. It has an impressive 1.0 4K UHD image sensor and integrated MP4 with built-in SD card ports. Also, 60p and 120p capability perfect for recording the slow-motion or face-paced action in full HD. 15x Optical 4K UHD zoom with image stabilization, and dual high-quality image processors. The weight of this camcorder is 2.5 pounds.
3.1 of 5 stars
- Built-in WiFi option for sharing footage
- Dual SD cards
- Super accurate twin pixel CMOS autofocus
- Extensive dynamic range
- A small and manageable frame
- Electric viewfinder
- Three and a half inch liquid crystal touchscreen.
- Costly compared to other items on this list
- Weighing two and a half pounds.
- 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS Image Sensor
- 15x Optical 4K UHD Zoom Lens with 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
- Dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors
The ICONNTECHS IT Action Camera is proof that all camcorders are not created equal. Powered by a top-notch Novatek chipset and equipped with a Sony CMOS sensor, this device is second to none. Some of the key features include 4K HD with quadruple the pixels of other cameras. A waterproof case and diving mode and time lapse options. In addition, 170-degree FOV and twice the sensitivity of other camcorders. Weighs roughly 2.3 ounces
3.8 of 5 stars
- Include 60p burst mode
- HDMI connectivity
- WiFi connectivity
- Waterproof recording up to nearly 100 feet
- Accelerated storage with slots for up 128GB of Micro-SD memory
- SD cards must be formatted in the camera itself or they won’t function properly
- The components are less durable than with more expensive camcorders.
- NOT ALL 4K ACTION CAMERAS ARE CREATED EQUAL: Video qualities largely depend on the CPUs of your action cameras -...
- CAPTURE UNDERWATER ACTION WITH WATERPROOF HOUSING AND DIVING MODE: ALL cameras come with waterproof cases that enable...
- VIEW THE WORLD IN ASTONISHING DETAIL WITH ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION 4K: Our Action Camera features 4K, the new video...
The Coleman Trek CVW16HD-0 is the perfect camcorder for recording outdoor and water-based sports. Main features include 1080p HD video, 12MP, facial recognition software and a three-inch touch panel for instant playback. Time-lapse option, five unique effect modes, LED light, and motion detection. Also, the capability to record underwater, built-in dust, and moisture guard and so much more. The camcorder’s weight is about two and a half pounds.
3.3 of 5 stars
- Easy activation and smooth operation
- Super long-lasting lithium Li-ion battery
- Amazing visual capability
- Records underwater
- Perfect for capturing outdoor activities
- The camera has no built-in memory. However, a 32GB of SD memory may be added.
- Also, the sound quality is not the best for the price range.
- Features built-in 170 Degree ultra wide angle lens & 1080p Full HD resolution at 30fps and 720p at 60 fps
- Built in GPS Records Speed/Distance/Time/Coordinates for Review & Built-in G-Sensor for Health/Pace/Calories Stats...
- Waterproof to 10 ft. & Uses Micro SDHC cards up to 32 GB (SD card not included)
Perhaps the best camcorder for sports on the list, this camera is made by one of the most trusted names in the industry. Main features include 1920x1080 HD video at 60P, MP4 and AVCHD capability. A three-inch LCD touch panel, a 26.8mm lens with 30x and 60x zoom and built-in image stabilization. Also, surround sound microphone and more benefits compared to other camcorders than we could mention. Furthermore, It weighs just under a pound.
3.9 of 5 stars
- Smooth connectivity to smartphones and tablets via WiFi and Bluetooth
- An expandable mic jack for professional quality sound
- Automatic MP4 video highlights
- A time-lapse ability for capturing amazing still images
- Intelligent autofocus
- 32GB of built-in memory
- Somewhat more pricey than your average camcorder
- Also requires PC specific software to edit footage.
- Full HD with XAVC-S, 9.2MP, Exmor R sensor, B.O.SS stabilization
- G Lens 26.8mm, 30x optical zoom, 60x Clear Image Zoom
- Ideal for DSLR and interchangeable-lens cameras and high performance camcorders
This Panasonic full HD camcorder shoots 1920x120p and 1080x60p and has a crystal engine which allows for the capturing of extremely high-quality slow motion or fast-paced still photos and video playback. Additional features include 20x optical zoom, the ability for your smartphone to be used as a secondary camera, a windshield for the microphone, intelligent autofocus, motion sensors and built-in image stabilization. It weighs in at 1.65 pounds.
4.2 out of 5 starts
- Super solid design
- Bbaby monitor function with push notifications
- Remote shooting and view options
- Real-time broadcasting
- Facial recognition
- An impressive backside illumination sensor
- Several settings for filming in diverse modes
- The only real cons with this particular camcorder are that it is high priced and has so many features that it takes a little bit of getting used to.
- 20X Optical Zoom: Long 20X zoom draws in the scene from far away; Compatible with Remote Pan Tilt Cradle (optional). The...
- HDR Movie Feature: Exclusive high-dynamic range feature suppresses blown highlights and blocked shadows for crisper and...
- Wireless Twin Camera: Wirelessly connect your smartphone's video camera as a sub-camera for a picture-in-picture video...
This nifty little camcorder is equipped with 1080x60p HD, 2x slow motion, a more compact and lightweight design than previous models, five unique video modes, image stabilization, and is controllable via smartphone. It is also waterproof and has a built-in microphone capable of high-quality audio. It weighs 1.65 pounds.
3.7 out of 5 stars
- Ultra wide 170-degree angle FOV
- A back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Built-in action cam
- Movie creator software for editing footage
- The ability to stream footage live over Ustream and so much more.
- The main con to this camera is actually in its size. However, If you are looking for a small action camcorder, this is the one.
- Records 1080p60 Video in XAVC S Codec; 120 fps Slow Motion in 720p; 11.9MP Photos in 16:9 Aspect Ratio
- Splashproof Camera / 16'-Rated Housing; Wi-Fi for Remote Monitoring and Control; Interv
- Takes Photo Bursts up to 8 fps; Includes RM-LVR2V Remote;
The YI 4K Action and Sports Camera shoots 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 60fps, 1080p at 120fps, and 720p at 240fps. 12MP pictures, video stabilization, long lasting 4.4 lithium battery, smooth built-in sharing via WiFi and Bluetooth at a rate of 5GHz. This camcorder is equipped with a new generation chipset, the Ambarella A9SE75, as well as the Sony IMX377 image sensor and a seven-layer glass lens. 3.36-ounce weight.
4.1 out of 5 stars
- 4K30 HD video footage
- Long distance remote controllability
- Modernized components which allow for rapid cooling to prevent overheating
- Built-in YI motion App for enhancing footage
- Very basic looking design and case
- Less durable components than higher priced camcorders
- Also, it seems to have issues working with many types of SD cards.
- Superb Image Quality - Records 4K/30fps (100mbps), 2. 7k/60fps, 1080p/120fps, 720p/240fps video, and 12MP raw image with...
- Long battery life - high capacity rechargeable lithium-ion battery records up to 120mins of 4K/30Fps video with a single...
- Intuitive touchscreen UI - built-in 2. 2" high responsive LCD Touchscreen with 640 x 360 high resolution for easy...
The GoPro HERO6 Black can transform your outdoor adventures and sports events into QuikStories publishable via your smartphone. Main features of this fantastic waterproof sports and action camera are 4K video at 60fps and 1080p video at 240fps. A topnotch new GP1 chipset, built-in video stabilization, water-resistant components and optionable waterproof case.
3.9 out of 5 stars
- Amazingly impressive dynamic range in comparison to other camcorders
- A realistic price for the powerful functionality possessed by the camera,
- Perfect image stabilization
- Ability to record and instantly share quick stories
- All of the usual features of GoPro's flagship line
- The only con we found in reviews were the small two-inch display screen and the clunky interface
- HERO6 Black automatically sends your footage to your phone where the app turns it into a QuikStory an awesome edited...
- With 4K60 and 1080p240 video,HERO6 Black delivers 2x the performance compared to HERO5 BlackWith an all new GP1 chip...
- With our most advanced video stabilization yet, HERO6 Black captures super smooth footage, whether it's handheld or...
The Panasonic WXF991 is the apex of hand-held 4K video cameras, empowering anybody to catch and record live sports events with ease as well as professional quality playback. Main features include ultra-sharp 4K Ultra HD recording, 1080p video, dolly zoom, smooth slow motion, and face paced movement capturing capability, 4K post cropping, built-in image stabilization, and devoted HDR for faster than average mode changes.
4.2 out of 5 Stars
- Ultra-sharp 4K Ultra HD recording, plus in-camera editing for 1080p displays
- Electronic Viewfinder EVF emulates a semi-professional recording experience. Dedicated HDR button enables quick mode...
- LEICA Decoma Lens optical 20x zoom, 5-axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilization. Image Sensor 1/2.3-inch BSI MOS Sensor....
Our Top Choice
Amazon Best Seller
High-quality components, advanced features, and state of the art cutting edge design and excellent durability
Shoots 4K at 30fps, 2.7K at 60fps, 1080p at 120fps, and 720p at 240fps
Easy to operate so good for beginners, and children as well
As far as professional filming goes, the Canon VIXIA GX10 UHD 4K Camcorder is our choice for the best camcorder for sports. That is due to its high-quality components, advanced features, and state of the art cutting edge design and excellent durability.
Furthermore, for beginners, we would suggest the GoPro HERO6 Black Edition Waterproof Sports & Action Camera. Due to its high-quality design and wealth of features in addition to being so easy to operate. You can’t go wrong with a GoPro camcorder it's probably the best camcorder for sports.
What is your opinion? Do you have another "best camcorder for sports" in mind that we didn’t come across in our search for the best camcorder for sports? Leave us a comment below!